New Business Requirements
Are you considering locating your business within the City of Live Oak?
The following is a check list of items which may be required in order to operate your business. Please feel free to contact Development Services should you have any questions.
- You will be required to show proof of contractual tenancy and/or ownership of the proposed business address.
- Obtain Building Permits: Building permits will be required in order to remodel or construct your tenant space. The contractor who performs the work is responsible for obtaining building permits. All permit application forms are available for download on the Permits and Inspections page.
- Building permit
- Mechanical permit
- Signage permit
- Electrical permit
- Plumbing permit
- Fire - sprinkler/alarm/ansul hood
- Apply for a Knox Box (if one is not already in place): A Knox Box provides a method for the Fire Department to access your business in the event of an emergency without breaking a window or door in order to do so. Knox Box Applications are available from the Development Services Department. Knox Box Applications are available from the Development Services Department and the Fire Inspector, Nicholas Balanciere.
- Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy: A Certificate of Occupancy ensures your business complies with minimum life safety requirements, as indicated by the applicable building codes, and authorizes you to be open for business to the general public. All permit application forms are available for download on the Permits and Inspections page.
- Obtain an Alcohol License (Contact Debby Goza, City Secretary, 210-653-9140 ext 2213)
- Obtain a Vending/Coin Operated Machine Permit (Contact Debby Goza, City Secretary, 210-653-9140 ext 2213)
- If your business is a restaurant, mobile vendor or you intend to sell packaged foods:
- Apply for a Food Establishment Permit: All permit application forms are available for download on the Permits and Inspections page.
- Food Handler’s Cards: All people who handle food must have a food handlers card available for the health inspector to see. Please click on the hyperlink to see the list of online courses for Food Handlers cards Restaurant/Health Inspector.