Development Services

    Development Services provides the following services:

    • Enforces the building codes adopted by the City through permits and inspections
    • Provides support and enforcement of the City’s codes in cooperation with Planning and Zoning and Economic & Community Development
    • Resolves complaints received by the public concerning alleged code violations
    • Conducts a careful plan review of all proposed residential and commercial construction within our city limits
    • Assists the Health Official by issuing food establishment permits, while providing information necessary for the maintenance of sanitation within food environments
    • Coordinates with the Fire Department for Knox Box installations, Fire Alarm, Fire Sprinkler, Fire Ansul Systems and inspections

    Development Services Staff Contact Information:

    Jake Schmidtke - Building Official

    (210) 653-9140 ext 2250

    Toby Hamilton - Permit Technician

    (210) 653-9140 ext 2244

    Richard Jamison - Code Compliance

    (210) 653-9140 ext 2386

    Saadiq Abdulaziz - Code Compliance

    (210) 653-9140 ext 2386

    Development Services Fax Number

    (210) 653-0935

      New Business Requirements

      Are you considering locating your business within the City of Live Oak?

      The following is a check list of items which may be required in order to operate your business. Please feel free to contact Development Services should you have any questions.

      1. You will be required to show proof of contractual tenancy and/or ownership of the proposed business address.
      2. Obtain Building Permits: Building permits will be required in order to remodel or construct your tenant space. The contractor who performs the work is responsible for obtaining building permits. All permit application forms are available for download on the Permits and Inspections page.
        • Building permit
        • Mechanical permit
        • Signage permit
        • Electrical permit
        • Plumbing permit
        • Fire - sprinkler/alarm/ansul hood
      3. Apply for a Knox Box (if one is not already in place): A Knox Box provides a method for the Fire Department to access your business in the event of an emergency without breaking a window or door in order to do so. Knox Box can be ordered by visiting Products - Knox Rapid Access System ( If you have any questions please contact the Fire Inspector at (210) 653-9140 x2379
      4. Obtain a Certificate of Occupancy: A Certificate of Occupancy ensures your business complies with minimum life safety requirements, as indicated by the applicable building codes, and authorizes you to be open for business to the general public. All permit application forms are available for download on the Permits and Inspections page.
      5. Obtain an Alcohol License (Contact Debby Goza, City Secretary, 210-653-9140 ext 2213)
      6. Obtain a Vending/Coin Operated Machine Permit (Contact Debby Goza, City Secretary, 210-653-9140 ext 2213)
      7. If your business is a restaurant, mobile vendor or you intend to sell packaged foods:
        • Apply for a Food Establishment Permit: All permit application forms are available for download on the Permits and Inspections page.
        • Food Handler’s Cards: All people who handle food must have a food handlers card available for the health inspector to see. Please click on the hyperlink to see the list of online courses for Food Handlers cards Restaurant/Health Inspector.

        Certificate of Occupancy

        Commercial Certificate of Occupancy

        All Commercial Businesses in the City of Live Oak are required to apply for and obtain a Certificate of Occupancy. A Certificate of Occupancy Application is available for download under "Permits and Inspections" or a link is provided below.

        When is a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) Required?

        No building or structure shall be used or occupied, and no change of existing occupancy classification, change in business ownership, tenant occupancy, or building square footage shall be made until a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued by the Building Official. A Certificate of Occupancy Application should be submitted when any of the following occur:

        • Your business is locating to a new address within Live Oak
        • Your existing Live Oak business is undergoing remodeling which will increase or decrease the square footage of the business address
        • The business name has changed
        • The business is sold to another person or entity.
        • Management changes are made which would affect the points of contact previously listed for the business. Depending upon the circumstance, the application fee may be waived.

        What Information is Required for the "C of O" Application?

        • Business Name
        • Business Address
        • Name of Occupant
        • Identification of Owner(s)-copy of Drivers License
        • State License for the type of business-ie, cosmetology, massage therapy, or spa licenses, and liquor licenses
        • Business Phone Number/Emergency Phone Number
        • Type of Occupancy
        • Square Footage
        • Number of Stories of Building
        • Number of Employees
        • E-mail address
        • Contract Lease Agreement with Owner or Management Co. for the property.

        Will There Be An Inspection Required Before My Business Opens?

        Yes. A Fire inspection and Building inspection will be required before your business is allowed to open doors to the public. If the business or building is undergoing construction, the General Contractor must obtain all final construction inspections before requesting the Certificate of Occupancy inspection. All life, health and safety inspections will be completed by the Fire Department. A Knox Box is also required at all Commercial locations so that the Fire Department may gain access to your building without damaging property. Knox Box applications are available in Development Services. These applications are generally given to the General Contractor at the beginning of any commercial finish out.

        The responsible party filing the Certificate of Occupancy Application will be required to schedule the Certificate of Occupancy and Fire Inspection at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance by calling 210-653-9140, extension 2244 or 2386.

        How Long Does It Take To Get A Certificate of Occupancy?

        This will depend on the results of the inspection and whether there are any code violations or life safety issues that need correcting prior to occupancy.

        Am I Allowed To Occupy The Business Before I Obtain The Certificate of Occupancy?

        It may be possible for the Building Official/Inspectors to authorize a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy on a case-by-case basis following the inspection process. For example: A Temporary C of O (30 days) may be authorized by the inspectors for the purpose of training new personnel, or correcting small repairs/corrections to the space.

        Monitored Alarm Systems

        If your business utilizes an alarm system (silent alarms, medical alert, fire alarms, security alarm, panic alert, etc.) which will notify 911 during an emergency, you will need to notify the Live Oak Police Department. An Alarm Permit Application is available for download by visiting the Police Department web page.

          Frequently Asked Questions

          City of Live Oak Development Services

          (Located within the Fire Department & closed between the hours of 12:00 - 1:00)
          8001 Shin Oak Drive
          Live Oak, Texas 78233
          (210) 653-9140 ext. 2244, 2386 & 2250

          City of Live Oak Planning Department

          (Located within City Hall)
          8001 Shin Oak Drive
          Live Oak, Texas 78233
          (210) 653-9140 ext. 2261 & 2219

          Bridlewood Park Homeowners Association

          Great America Associates
          10003 N.W. Military Hwy, Ste 2201
          San Antonio, Texas 78231
          Local Phone: (210) 344-9200
          Local Fax: (210) 344-3137

          Retama Hollow Homeowners Association

          International Building Code
          1-888-ICC-SAFE (422-7233)

          International Conference of Building Officials

          5360 Workman Mill Road
          Whittier, California 90601-2298
          Local Address:
          9300 Jollyville Road, Suite 101
          Austin, Texas 78759
          (512) 343-9116

          Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners

          929 East 41st Street
          P.O. Box 4200
          Austin, Texas 78765
          (800) 845-6584

          City Public Service
          146 Navarro Street
          San Antonio, Texas
          (210 )353-3333

          Auburn Hills Homeowners Association

          12500 San Pedro Ave #325
          San Antonio, TX 78216

          The following information is set up in question and answer format, as if you were having a conversation with the Building Official. Some items may apply to you, some may not. We have tried to keep this information in a non-technical language as much as possible. Select definitions, with additional technical information, are included at the end of this page. If you have any additional questions or need any other information, please contact the City of Live Oak Building Department.

          Backflow Device

          Pictured is a typical residential backflow device.

          Their primary function is to prevent cross contamination of the city's potable water system. National water codes and guidelines call for approved backflow protection on all lawn sprinkler systems and the backflow protection be tested yearly and maintained in working condition. At installation, it is the property owner's responsibility to provide the proper Live Oak Backflow Test & Maintenance (T&M) form with the test results for recording purposes. Each year a letter and Backflow T&M report form will be mailed to the property owner as a reminder to provide the City with the annual test results.

          This is required by Texas Commission of Environmental Quality (TECQ) and the following adopted Plumbing Code:

          International Plumbing Code-608.16.5 Connections to lawn irrigation systems. The potable water supply to lawn irrigation systems shall be protected against backflow by an atmospheric-type vacuum breaker, a pressure-type vacuum breaker or a reduced pressure principle backflow preventer.

          30 TAC 290 Subchapter D: Rules and Regulations for public water systems 290.44(h) (1) No water connection from any public drinking water system shall be allowed to any residence or establishment where an actual or potential contamination hazard exists unless the public water facilities are protected from contamination.

          Water Heater

          Pictured is a typical water heater installation.

          Residents often have questions regarding how a water heater should be installed. The above diagram is provided in an effort to answer some of these questions. Please note that the water heater should always be installed in accordance with the currently adopted plumbing code.

          Citizens of Live Oak are not required to have a permit for a weekend garage sale. If you have signs out advertising the garage sale, the signs must not be placed or affixed to any light poles, fences or placed in any easement. If you place the sign on private property, you must obtain permission from the property owner or homeowner. The signs must be removed no later than 24 hours after the garage sale. The signs must include the dates, location, and the time of the sale.

          Construction work may be done between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and sunset.

          Zoning ensures continuity between all construction in Live Oak. It sets regulations for things as diverse as lot size, minimum masonry veneer requirements, and height of buildings, for example. The Zoning Ordinance protects you by ensuring that your neighbors will not build a two story chicken coop right next to your property line, and that you will not return the favor. The Zoning Ordinance is available for purchase at the City of Live Oak Planning Department located in City Hall. A copy is available for review, also.

          Once your electrical or gas final has been approved, Development Service staff will contact City Public Service (CPS) and release your meter. Upon CPS's receipt of this information, the meter will be set when their schedule permits. You should usually allow 5 to 7 days.

          Approved Plans – The set of plans stamped and signed the Building Department Plan reviewer. No deviations from these plans are allowed without re-submittal. The approved plans must be on site at all times.

          Building Department – The Building Inspection Department of the City of Live Oak. The Building Department is located at 8001 Shin Oak Drive, at the corner of Oak Terrace and Shin Oak, in the Fire Station

          Building Footprint – The foundation outline of the house. Additions, or any other project that will require a foundation, will usually change the Building Footprint.

          Building Official –The person designated by the City Council to enforce certain codes and ordinances. The Building Official has designated certain people to do inspections and other related duties.

          Contractor – A person or Company you hire to do the work for you.

          General Contractor – The person responsible for coordinating the trades and getting the job done.

          Masonry Veneer – Brick, Stone, or stucco that is on the outside of the house and has no structural significance.

          Model Codes – Codes that are printed by a company that specializes in code writing. Model codes allow the City to adopt regulations without having to do testing on products. Model codes also allow the City to rely on the expertise of many different people worldwide, not just people on staff.

          Office of the Building Official – Same as Building Department.

          Permit Packet – Permit application, plans, plot plans, and trade applications, if applicable.

          Planning Department – The department in the City of Live Oak that is responsible for Zoning, and Planning. Located at 8001 Shin Oak Drive.

          Stop Work Order – A document specifying that the work being done has no permit. No additional work may be done without a permit.

          Trades – Skilled workers such as carpenters, plumbers, electricians, Heating & AC, etc.

          The following information is provided to inform you of more specific regulations for your project. Although they may be more technical, they are not intended to take the place or list every regulation of the codes. As with all information in this packet, these regulations are subject to change. Please consult the Building Department for possible new regulations.

          Some things to keep in mind as you look at Setbacks:

          FRONT SETBACK – Distance from the front property line to the front of the structure.

          REAR SETBACK – Distance from the back property line to the back of the structure or pool.

          EXTERIOR SIDE YARD SETBACK – If you are on a corner lot or cul-de-sac lot, this is the distance from property line at the street to the closest side of the house or pool. This setback may not apply to you.

          INTERIOR SIDE YARD SETBACK – Distance from the side property line to the closest side of the house or pool if you abut anything but a street.

          A fence may extend to the side and rear yard property lines, provided such fence does not exceed six (6) feet in height. Front yard fences may be placed on the property line provided it does not exceed three (3) feet. To replace an existing fence does not require a permit unless you are changing the footprint or placement of the fence.

          EXCEPTION: Fences located on reverse frontage property lines must not exceed three (3) feet.

          Each construction site or lot must have a properly maintained portable toilet. Two adjacent construction sites under common ownership and concurrent construction may share a portable toilet. All portable toilets must remain on the construction site throughout the construction process and must not be placed in the street, on a utility easement or in a right-of-way. Portable toilets must be periodically serviced to prevent unclean conditions and regularly monitored to ensure proper functioning and location. The portable toilet must be removed within two working days after construction is complete.

          Accessory buildings include private garages or bona fide servants quarters (not for rent but for the use of servants employed on the premises), etc. When the accessory building is directly attached to the main building, it shall be considered an integral part of the main building. When the accessory building is attached to the main building by a breezeway, the breezeway may be considered a part of the accessory building. When the breezeway extends into the required rear yard it, together with the accessory building or buildings, may occupy not more than 30% of the required rear yard. The floor area of all the accessory building on the lot shall not exceed fifty (50) percent of the floor area of the principal structure exclusive of breezeways and attached garage, provided; however, that this regulation shall not reduce the total floor area of all accessory buildings on one lot to less than six hundred (600) square feet and shall not apply to bona fide farm and agricultural buildings. Accessory buildings shall not be constructed closer than fire (5) feet from the side or rear lot lines.

          All construction sites must be kept clean. Trash and other debris associated with any construction may not be allowed to migrate to other lots, properties, or rights-of-way. Each new construction site must have a solid-sided trash container of at least eight feet square and four feet high. The trash container must be removed and properly disposed of without allowing the container to be overfilled. All trash or debris that drifts or spills onto the site, other lots, properties or rights-of-way must be picked up and securely placed in the trash container or otherwise properly disposed of on a daily basis.

          All construction of single-family homes, duplexes, and apartments upon completion must have at least three-fourths (3/4) masonry on the exterior walls. Any exterior walls fronting on a street must be 100 percent masonry with the exception of eaves, second stories, porches, trim, windows, doors, and other similar exceptions. The aesthetics value of the surrounding area shall be preserved. All construction shall blend into the surrounding neighborhood.

          Front Yard Setback – A front yard setback shall be a minimum of twenty-five (25) feet.

          Where lots have double frontage, running through from one street to another, the required front yard shall be provided on both streets.

          Where a lot fronts on one street and abuts another street in the rear, there shall be a one-foot non-access easement across the rear of the lot.

          Side Yard Setback – There shall be a side yard on each side of the lot having a width of not less than five (5) feet, except the side yards adjacent to a side street shall not be less than ten (10) feet. The projection of a roof eave into the required side yard shall not exceed eighteen (18) inches.

          Reverse Frontage – On corner lots, where interior lots have been platted, fronting on the side-street; a side yard shall be provided on the street side equal to the front yard on the lots in the rear. No accessory building on said corner lot shall project beyond the front line of the lots in the rear.

          Rear Yard Setback – There shall be a rear yard having a depth of not less than thirty (30) feet. A one story portion of a main residential building may extend into the required rear yard a maximum of ten (10) feet, provided the cumulative width of such extension is not greater than one-half (1/2) of the width of the rear yard determined as the minimum width within the rear yard setback. The cumulative combination of one-story extensions of main buildings and detached accessory buildings may not occupy more than 30% of the required rear yard.

          Concrete curbs and gutters within a street right-of-way that are removed to allow access to a lot shall be saw-cut at all construction joints or otherwise cut to produce a clean, even joint.

          The area between the curb and the sidewalk shall be excavated or filled to provide a uniform grade comparable to the adjacent street grade and shall be located so that ground level at the right-of-way line is no more than two feet, or less than three inches, above or below the adjacent curb grade.

          Expansion joint material shall be provided at intervals not to exceed fifty feet and where the new construction abuts the existing curbs or driveways. A minimum of two round dowel bars three-eighths (3/8) inch in diameter and eighteen inches (18") in length shall be spaced eighteen inches apart at each expansion joint. One nine (9) inch end of the dowel shall be thoroughly coated with hot oil asphalt or rod lead, so that it will not bond to the concrete; approved types of slip joints may be used in lieu of coating the ends of the dowels.

          Sidewalk ramps for handicap access shall be located at each intersection of a sidewalk and street.

          Sidewalks 3 feet in width are required along all residential streets. They shall be located at the property line and protrude into the right of way. Sidewalks shall be constructed at the time the house is completed. Sidewalks shall be a minimum of three and one-half inches (3 ½") inches thick with smooth, uniform and slip resistant finish.

          The address on the exterior of the residence shall be large enough to be plainly visible from the street. It shall be illuminated, at a minimum, by a 60-watt bulb. A weather resistant globe or cover shall protect the bulb. Such lights shall not be switched except by a timer or a light sensing device.

          Electric service must be in conduit from the meter box to the connection on the home. The conduit shall be 18" below grade or have 4" of concrete poured on top of the conduit and 12" below grade.

          Water line shall be 12" below grade and have an owner's shutoff valve adjacent to the water meter box at the customer's side of the meter.

          Sewer line shall be 12" below grade and have at least one cleanout at the property line or point of connection to the public sewer.

          Gas line shall be 12" below grade and have a protective coating. All gas systems shall be tested with at least 10-psi air test.

            Contractor Registration

            According to Live Oak Ordinance No. #1416, Chapter 5 Sec. 251, all contractors are required to have current registration with the City of Live Oak, Texas prior to the issuance of any building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical or other type of permit(s). The general contractor of the job site shall be responsible for ensuring that the license is displayed in the job site trailer or other approved location. At a minimum, a black and white copy of the license must be produced immediately upon request by any City of Live Oak official or resident.

            A list of Registered Contractors is available for download. This list is updated on an annual basis for public access. In addition, you may contact Development Services and inquire whether a contractor holds a current registration.

            City of Live Oak Contractor's Registration License

            Licenses are issued for the current year beginning February 1 and are valid for one year. The City mails out reminder letters at the beginning of January prior to the expiration date. Licenses that are not renewed within thirty (30) days of February are void and may only be renewed in accordance with city and state law.

            In order to obtain a Contractor's License, the following items must be submitted:

            1. Contractor's License Application (available for download under "Permits and Inspections")
            2. Provide a copy of every current State of Texas license held by your employees and your company.
            3. Provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance indicating a minimum General Liability coverage of $300,000 or a bond of $100,000 for house or structure movers. Roofers bond must be a minimum of $20,000.
            4. Backflow Testers must provide current State of Texas license and current test gauge kit certifications.
            5. Registration fees:
              1. Initial registration fee - $100.00
              2. Yearly renewal fee - $75.00
              3. Fees are prorated as year progresses

            Please note: State Legislation exempts the following trades from paying registration fees; however, EVERY trade will be required to complete and return the Contractors License Application, provide license(s) and insurance renewals:

            1. Plumbing Contractors - (Senate Bill 1354, Eff. 09-01-09)
            2. Fire Alarm/Sprinkler Contractors
            3. Electrical Contractors

            Penalty for Violation

            The fine for violation of any provision of this section shall be up to two thousand dollars ($2,000.00) per violation, with each day that the violation continues being a separate violation. The enforcement of this section shall be enforced by the building official or his designated representatives, the fire marshal, or any certified code compliance officer or police officer in accordance with the enforcement provisions.

              Health Inspections

              Food Establishment Permits:

              Fork and KnifeAny business engaged in the preparation of food must have a Food Establishment Permit and all employees who handle food must attend or take a Food Handlers' course on-line. This includes restaurants, convenience stores, foster care homes, schools, daycare facilities and mobile vendors. Development Services is responsible for public health in the City and utilizes the services of Bureau Veritas of America as the professional health inspectors and sanitation company. All food establishments will be issued a Food Establishment Certificate yearly to be displayed in the facility. Each Food Establishment Permit will expire on September 30th of the current year. To learn more, see Chapter 11, Section 2 of the Code of Ordinances for additional information.

              Bureau Veritas of America's Health and Safety Program Manager for the City of Live Oak is Lisa Pomroy, R.S., 1000 Jupiter Road, Ste. 800, Plano, Texas, 75074, Main Line 800-906-7199 and alternate number, 214-457-0494.

              Mobile Food Vendors:

              Food Temp Inspection

              Mobile Food Vendors must comply with the same rules as Food Establishments within the City of Live Oak. An annual food permit and solitor's permit must be obtained each year. Vendors will receive two routine Health inspections annually, once in May and the second in November. Employees or food handlers on each mobile unit will be required to complete a certified Food Handler's Course. Click on the helpful documents below for additional information and guidelines.

              Food Handler Course:


              Food/Health/Pool Complaints:

              Food Temp Inspection

              Should you have a Food or Health complaint with any Restaurant or Facility, please complete a Food/Pool Complaint Form and fax the completed form to 210-653-0935. The complaint will be forwarded to the Health Inspector for review and an inspection of the facility will be conducted. You will be contacted by an authorized representative of this Department with results of the inspection.

              Should you have any questions or concerns about any of the Food or Health topics listed above, contact Administration at 210-653-9140 extension 2244 or 2386.

                Local Codes and Ordinances

                Adopted Codes:

                The following list of Codes w/amendments were adopted by City of Live Oak, Texas.

                • International Building Code, 2021 Edition w/amendments
                • International Residential Code, 2021 Edition w/amendments
                • International Mechanical Code, 2021 Edition w/amendments
                • International Plumbing Code, 2021 Edition w/amendments
                • International Energy Conservation Code, 2021 Edition
                • International Fuel Gas Code, 2021 Edition w/amendments
                • International Fire Code, 2021 Edition
                • International Existing Building Code, 2021 Edition
                • International Performance Code for Buildings and Facilities, 2021 Edition
                • National Electrical Code NFPA 70 Current State Adopted Edition without Article 80 2020
                • NFPA 101 Life Safety Code, Current Edition
                • NFPA 110 Standards for Emergency and Standby Power Systems 2019
                • ICC A117.1 Standard for Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities 2017
                • NFPA 30A Code for Motor Fuel Dispensing Facilities
                • NFPA 58 LP Gas 2020
                • NFPA 37 Standards for installation & use of stationary combustion engines and gas turbines 2021 Edition
                • Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act
                • International Swimming Pool and Spa Code, 2021 Edition

                City of Live Oak Code of Ordinances:

                Please utilize the Code of Ordinances link, provided at left, for information regarding City of Live Oak Ordinances. The portions of the Code of Ordinances which may be helpful include, but are not limited to:

                • Building Regulations (Chapter 5)
                • Code Enforcement Regulations (Chapters 5, 10, 11, 15, etc)
                • Health and Sanitation (Chapter 11)
                • Zoning Regulations (Appendix A)

                Who should you contact with questions?

                If you have questions regarding building, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, food establishments, certificate of occupancies, or any other questions, please direct questions to the Development Services Department:

                Jake Schmidtke - Building Official

                (210) 653-9140 ext 2250

                Toby Hamilton - Permit Technician

                (210) 653-9140 ext 2244

                Richard Jamison - Code Compliance

                (210) 653-9140 ext 2386

                Saadiq Abdulaziz - Code Compliance

                (210) 653-9140 ext 2386

                Development Services Fax Number

                (210) 653-0935

                Questions about sewer main tie-ins, water meters for commercial or residential, and meter vault inspections, please contact Jim Neeley at 210-653-9140, extension 2220 or 210-792-3289.

                  Permits, Inspections and Applications

                  General Information regarding Permits and Inspections:

                  All permit applications require submittal of plans, specifications and any other additional information required to completely describe the work to be undertaken. In all cases, Planning and Zoning issues should be resolved before applying for a permit. Our department can assist in determining whether your project will require review by the Planning and Zoning department.

                  Permit applications will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis by the Building Official and/or the Fire Marshall for code compliance. State of Texas law requires that all permit applications receive a response within 45 days of submittal. Plan review can be completed as quickly a few days or it can take as long as a couple of weeks. The time plan review will take, depends on the size of the project and the volume of other plans awaiting review. You should probably plan for a minimum of one week for plan review. Review of Fire Alarm and Fire Sprinkler plans typically take approximately 14 business days.

                  Kitchen - Health reviews will be completed by our third party Health and Safety manager. We require a cd or pdf of your plan so we can electronically get it to our Health and Safety manager for a plan review. The fee for this review will be reflected on the permit issued.

                  You will be contacted should the submittal require revision. Once a permit application is approved, a permit will be issued. We will contact you when the permit is ready for pick up and let you know the permit fee. The permit must be signed and paid for before a permit is considered valid. Our department can assist in determining a permit fee prior to submittal of a permit application so that you are aware of the fee as you begin planning your project.

                  Plan Review and Applications Information:residential and commercial

                  Time Frame for:

                  New Residential Plan Permits 1– 2 weeks
                  All Commercial Plan Permits 2 – 4 weeks
                  All Other Permits 1 – 2 days

                  Hours of Operation:

                  M – F 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Closed for lunch between the hours of 12:00 to 1:00

                  You may begin your project once you have a valid permit in hand. All types of work requiring a permit must have accompanying inspections. Our office will let you know which inspections will be required when you pick up your permit. You should notify Development Services when your project is ready for an inspection. Once an inspection is completed, your inspection report will be sent to you by email.

                  Permits are valid for 180 days beyond the permit issuance date. In some cases, permits may be extended by contacting the Development Services office.

                  Can I do the work myself or should I hire a contractor?

                  Your project can be done yourself, with no outside contractors needed if:

                  • The house you are working on is your own residence and you are living in it with a homestead exemption.
                  • The work is done by you yourself and not by anyone else.

                  Although doing the work yourself may sound like a great deal, make sure you are not biting off more than you can chew. In addition, you should be aware that your home owner's insurance will be responsible for coverage should anything go awry due to your work. If you hire a contractor to do the work, and something goes awry, you have a source of recourse via the contractor's Liability Insurance.

                  What Projects require a Permit?

                  You may be surprised that many projects require a permit. Some examples are listed below. Feel free to contact the Development Service office if you do not see the type of project you are considering listed below.

                  Some examples of projects that typically require a permit:

                  • Changing the footprint of the building (addition or demolition of building components)
                  • Converting a garage into any other type of room
                  • Remodeling or adding new rooms
                  • Concrete or Flatwork
                  • Roofing
                  • Exterior windows or doors if the Structure is changed
                  • Garages
                  • Carports
                  • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58m) in area, that are not more than 30 inches above grade at any point and that are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4, patios and Patio Covers
                  • Paving: driveways, sidewalks (replacement of existing - new construction sidewalks and driveways or any extensions of such driveways or sidewalks must have a permit), and patios, etc.
                  • Lawn Sprinkler Systems
                  • Swimming pools, hot tubs, or spas (this does not include prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep).
                  • Water heaters
                  • Water Softeners
                  • Most air conditioning or heating systems
                  • Fences - All fencing Commercial/Residential with new or different footprints or placement must provide a detailed drawing and pull a permit.
                  • Fireplaces
                  • Demolition
                  • Most plumbing work
                  • Electrical repair and/or replacement
                  • Sheds or other accessory buildings that exceed 120 sq. ft, whether you are building or installing a pre-built shed

                    Download Shed Diagram PDF

                  • Installation or repair of building, parking lot, or landscape lighting (Electrical)
                  • Awnings or Carports
                  • Signage: installing new or altering existing

                  Projects not usually requiring a permit:

                  • Portable heating appliances
                  • Installing or replacing any appliance that does not require alterations to the plumbing, gas, electrical, or mechanical systems.(ex. Replacing a stove which does not need a new outlet or new wiring
                  • Repairs on any appliance that does not require replacing the appliance
                  • Portable Window A/C units, portable heating or ventilation appliances
                  • Painting or wallpapering
                  • Carpeting or tile work
                  • Glass replacement
                  • Tuck pointing or cleaning existing masonry
                  • Landscaping: Plants, non-permanent pavers/stones, mulch, etc.
                  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
                  • Existing fences (City's Subdivision Ordinance only allows new construction fences not to exceed 6 feet in height for residential).
                  • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
                  • Sheds, playhouses and accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet. ANY CONCRETE BASES FOR THESE STRUCTURES WILL REQUIRE A PERMIT.
                  • Swings and other playground equipment

                  Application Process

                  A Permit submittal should consist of:

                  • All permit applications are available as fillable pdf's and pdf downloads.
                  • Letter from your Home Owners Association indicating approval of any alterations to the exterior of your home or property. This item is only submitted for those properties located within an HOA.
                  • Any supplemental information which describes your project. Provide one hard copy of all supplemental information. In addition, provide one electronic version of the supplemental information in the form of a PDF. In some cases, we may be able to create the PDF file for you provided that your submitted information is no larger than an 11x17 size paper.

                  To download copies of all applications and forms, please click here.

                  Supplemental Information:

                  Depending upon the type of permit for which you are applying, the supplemental information might include some, or all, of the following items:

                  Plot Plan:

                  A plot plan shows property lines, easements, fences, existing structures and all proposed additions and/or removal of structures shall be submitted for planning and Zoning setbacks. Plans shall be to scale and accurately dimensioned.

                  Foundation Plan:

                  A foundation plan shows measurements, sizes, and locations of footings, reinforcement, attachments to existing structures, elevations and vapor barriers shall be submitted. Engineer stamp, signed and dated will be required on large additions. Cut, removal and replacement for underground plumbing and electric shall require plans and inspections. If a foundation exists with no vapor barrier and conditioned addition will be constructed on said foundation, an appropriate sealing method shall be submitted to prevent all moisture problems.

                  Floor Plans

                  Floor plans with all dimensions, door and window details, etc. Each room or area shall be identified. Proposed areas shall be identified for future use. Example: “Patio slab to be covered/enclosed at a later date” or “Warehouse to be remodeled for future office space at a later date”.

                  Framing/Structural Drawings:

                  Framing/structural drawing, showing locations, sizes, wood grades and types, steel grades and types, header sizes, door and window locations, attachment to existing structure, floor joist, roof trusses and hangers, shall be submitted. Pre-engineered floor joists and roof trusses shall have engineer letters and shop drawings.

                  Building Elevations:

                  Building elevations of all exterior sides of the house indicating locations of windows, doors or other building features. Elevations should also include references to the materials which will be utilized. Samples of materials may be requested for review by the Building Official.

                  Energy Compliance:

                  Energy Compliance Certificate according to the International Energy Conservation Code adopted by the City -OR- Proof that window, door and insulation submittals satisfy Energy Conservation Codes.

                  HVAC, Electrical and Plumbing Plans:

                  Electric, Plumbing and HVAC (heat, vent, air condition) plans shall be submitted. New systems shall be engineered. These three trades are required to pull separate permits.

                  Flatwork, Sidewalk and Driveway Plans:

                  Drawings showing location, dimensions and size of rebar or wire mesh. For instances when you are expanding beyond existing paving, please indicate how the new paving will be tied into the existing structure or paving.

                  Retaining Walls:

                  Retaining walls measuring four feet or more from bottom of footing to top of wall shall require plans and permit.

                  Fire Suppression/Fire Alarm:

                  If Fire Suppression and/or Fire Alarm present or required, plans shall be submitted (before the frame inspection will be performed).

                  Commercial Knox Box:

                  All businesses shall have a Knox Box at front door or gate. Applications are available at the Live Oak Fire Department.

                  Demolition Plans:

                  Demolition plans may be submitted with the Build plans or separate as a demolition plan only. A demolition permit may be issued before building plans are submitted.

                  Inspection Process

                  • Inspections are scheduled 24 hours in advance. Inspections MUST be scheduled or received before 4:00 p.m. to receive next day inspections. Schedule your inspections with ample time.
                  • For all residential inspections that do not require entry into the house or to the rear yard of your property, you do not need to meet the inspector. However, if the inspector needs to inspect anything inside the house, you will need to arrange for someone to meet the inspector.
                  • For commercial inspections, we recommend the contractor be available at the time the inspection is performed to answer questions the inspector may have or to address immediate issues. We cannot guarantee a successful inspection of the inspector if he has questions as to the scope of work and no one at the job site can adequately answer those questions. In addition, the approved plans must be made available to the inspector, if requested, at the time the inspection is performed.
                  • Please schedule your inspection on your online permitting account page.

                  How do I know if the person at the door is the inspector?

                  City of Live Oak inspectors wear identifiable uniforms and are required to ring your doorbell. Feel free to ask for identification. You may call the Building Department while the inspector is outside waiting, if you desire. You always have the right to refuse entry. Remember to be safe and make sure the person at the door is who you think he/she is.

                  Third Party Inspection Documentation Process:

                  Third party inspections will be accepted by the Development Services Department for inspections on commercial projects. The third party entity shall NOT be associated with the contracting company.

                  A letter from the third party inspection company shall be sent to the Development Services Department which states that the work was completed in compliance the designed plans and in accordance to all adopted Codes. The letter should contain the following information:

                  1. Name of Company performing inspections including address and contact information.
                  2. List of inspector(s) and their certification(s).
                  3. A legible copy of the inspection shall be faxed, emailed or delivered to this Office within 48 hours after each inspection. Our contact information is available on the Development Services main webpage.

                  NOTES: Foundations shall NOT have a load placed on them until the Development Services Department receives the inspection report and at least 7 days have passed from the pour date. The date of the pour shall be placed at the left corner of the foundation in at least 6-inch lettering (which can be sprayed on) after the forms are removed.

                  Inspection Terminology:

                  Please utilize the following terminology when calling to schedule inspections to avoid confusion. Generally speaking, inspections should be called in according to the following order:

                  1. Building Setback:

                    Forms that outline the final footprint of the foundation shall be in place, all of the property pins shall be exposed and easily visible, and the setback shall match the approved plan. This inspection can be performed simultaneously with the sewer rough in if the trenching for the pipes does not cover the property pins. This inspection and the sewer rough in shall be successfully completed before the forms can be back-filled. Third party inspections are accepted.

                  2. Sewer Rough In:

                    All piping shall be securely placed in the final location as indicated on the approved plan. The type of piping shall be the approved type listed in the current plumbing code. The piping shall be tested with either a minimum 10 feet of head pressure or 5 PSIG air pressure. Plastic piping shall NOT be tested using air. Each joint shall be exposed around the entire circumference of the pipe being tested. All ASTM and Schedule marking on the pipe shall be up and exposed. This inspection and the building setback shall be successfully completed before the forms can be back-filled.

                  3. Building Foundation:

                    All of the steel reinforcement shall be secured in its final place and adequately supported. The vapor barrier shall be in place, clean of all debris with all holes and penetrations sealed, after all non-potable water has been removed, and it shall cover all of the exposed earth as per approved plans. The forms shall be mortar-tight to eliminate the leakage of concrete. All potable water lines, electrical conduit, condensation drains and T&P drains shall be placed in the final location as indicated on the approved plan. Copper water lines and PEX tubing shall be sleeved wherever it penetrates the concrete. All sewer lines that penetrate through a footing shall be sleeved. This inspection will be performed simultaneously with the building foundation. Both of these inspections shall be successfully completed before the concrete can be poured. No load will be placed on the foundation after pour for 7 days.

                  4. Electrical Rough In:

                    All electrical boxes shall be installed as shown on the plan. Electrical outlet spacing shall comply with the current electrical code requirements. GFCI protection shall be provided as indicated on the plan and the current electric code. Commercial conductors shall be protected in approved conduit as outlined in the current electrical code. Not more than 10 fixtures per branch circuit are permitted.

                  5. Plumbing Rough In:

                    All vent pipes shall penetrate the roof to their final termination point. Plastic piping shall NOT be tested using air. All DWV pipes shall be tested to 5-psig minimum and installed as shown on the approved plan. The potable water service line shall be exposed from the meter to the house and connected to the city water line with a meter. Running a straight pipe is not acceptable or approved and will be reported to the utility company as well as the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners. All potable water pipes shall be tested to 80-psig minimum. All pipes shall be insulated in the appropriate areas.

                  6. Gas Rough In:

                    All black iron pipes shall be installed as shown on the approved plan. All natural gas lines shall be tested to a minimum of 10-psig for a minimum of 15 minutes. All natural gas lines shall be separated from electrical conductors with insulation other than the non-metallic sheathing on the Romex. Fireplace log lighter shall be provided with a gas shut-off accessible by a 12-inch-by-12-inch access panel or cover.

                  7. Heat & Air Rough In:

                    All ducts shall be installed as shown on the approved plan. All duct sizes shall match the approved plan. All ducts shall be installed with the size, UL listing, and R factor visible from the bottom of the duct. Ducts that are not stenciled with the size from the factory shall be marked in the field at both the plenum and register end. All condensation drains shall be completed and installed to comply with the current mechanical code. All platforms and access to the equipment shall be installed.

                  8. Building Frame:

                    All MEP inspections shall be completed prior to scheduling this inspection. All wall, floor and roof framing shall be completed and match the approved plan as well as the current building code. All sole plates that have been cut shall be strapped and filled with grout. All top plate penetrations shall be sealed and installed to comply with the current building code. All structural sheathing and roof decking shall be installed. Plywood clips or a physical gap shall be provided between the decking sheets if tongue and groove plywood is not utilized. Final exterior siding and roofing material may be installed at this time. Sheetrock and insulation shall not be installed until this inspection is successfully completed.

                  9. Sewer Tap:

                    All sewer tap inspections shall be scheduled with the Live Oak Utility Department by calling 210-653-9140 extension 234 and scheduling the inspection with the Utility Secretary.

                  10. Flatwork:

                    All non-structural areas where concrete is to be poured. All forms shall be complete, shaped to form the final footprint. All new concrete areas shall be provided with an expansion joint and doweled into the existing concrete areas to eliminate separation movement. All sidewalks, driveways and patios shall be reinforced with 10-gauge welded wire at a minimum. Drive approaches shall be reinforced with 6-guage welded wire at a minimum. This requirement does not preclude the use of rebar reinforcement for all flatwork. Continuous pour sidewalks shall be provided with a construction joint at 50 feet intervals and control joints at 4 feet intervals.

                  11. Temporary on Permanent Service:

                    Residential temporary electrical service to operate all appliances. The exterior service entrance shall be 100% complete with a disconnecting means inside the residence for all branch circuits.

                  12. Heat & Air Final:

                    The HVAC unit shall be operational and the structure is ready for occupancy. The outdoor unit shall be secured in place and all electrical connections shall be weather tight and comply with the current mechanical code. Access to the unit for maintenance shall comply with the current mechanical code.

                  13. Electrical Final:

                    All outlets and lighting fixtures shall be installed and completed as shown on the approved plan. All live conductors shall be protected and covered. All cover plates shall be installed and secured to the wall/ceiling. All electrical appliances shall be operational. All globes and diffusers shall be installed. The service entrance panel and sub-panel breakers shall be appropriately marked to indicate the branch circuit each breaker serves. The photocell shall be covered with tape or cardboard to activate the light required by the security ordinance.

                  14. Gas Final:

                    All gas lines shall be tested to the shut-off valve. No caps may be applied to the gas line be tested to 5-psig minimum for a minimum of 15 minutes. Flex lines need not be connected to regulator at this time.

                  15. Plumbing Final:

                    All plumbing fixtures shall be completely installed with all final trim pieces and escutcheon plates. All fixtures shall hold the maximum amount of water without leaking.

                  16. Building Final:

                    1. All mechanical, electrical, Fire Suppression, Fire Alarm and plumbing inspections shall be successfully completed before a building final can be scheduled. The building shall be complete and ready for occupancy. All re-inspection fees shall be paid in full prior to approval.
                    2. The building shall NOT be occupied prior to the successful completion of the Building Final. No exceptions!
                    3. For all commercial occupancies, a successful Building Final inspection initiates a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy, valid for 30 days, which allows you to occupy your business in order to set up equipment, furniture and begin training employees. You may NOT open doors to the public until an official Certificate of Occupancy is issued.
                  17. Certificate of Occupancy:

                    1. For Residential addresses, the Certificate of Occupancy inspection will be conducted during the Building Final inspection.
                    2. For all Commercial addresses, this inspection looks to ensure that Life Safety issues are satisfied. Some of the items which the Inspector reviews are: furniture and equipment do not block required egress doors/routes and prohibit ADA accessibility, required fire extinguishers are in place, required emergency signage is installed. Extension cords may not be utilized but a power strip with surge protection is allowable. The initial Certificate of Occupancy inspection will initiate an annual Fire Inspection conducted by the Fire Department without notice.
                  18. Swimming Pools:

                    A steel inspection is required if the pool is made of gunite or concrete. An electrical bonding inspection is required prior to pouring concrete or spraying gunite. All appliances (chlorinator, filter, vacuum, light and skimmer) shall be operational and manufacturer’s installation instructions shall be available upon request at final inspection. Pool barricade and door alarm or pool cover shall be completed at the final inspection.

                  19. Lawn Sprinklers:

                    Trenches for lawn sprinkler piping shall be open for inspection. ASTM markings on irrigation piping shall be installed up and visible from above the trench. A qualified plumber shall install Backflow Prevention Devices. The system shall be operational and must be tested by a certified tester.

                  20. Retaining Wall:

                    A site plan shall be provided to show the exact location of the retaining wall. A list of materials that will be utilized for the retaining wall shall be provided as well as material that will be utilized to aid with drainage.

                  21. Foundation Repair:

                    Plans provided shall be signed and sealed by a Registered Professional Engineer. An inspection shall be scheduled prior to covering the tunnel or piers.

                    Building Plan Review Requirements

                    Building Plan Reviews are based on the 2018 International Building Code unless otherwise directed. In order to perform a thorough Building Plan Review, the following specifications, drawings and details should be submitted:

                    1. Complete signed and sealed (as required by applicable laws) architectural plans, structural plans and material specifications of all work.
                    2. A site plan including the following information:
                      1. Size and location of all new construction and all existing structures on the site.
                      2. Distances from lot lines and any existing buildings or structures.
                      3. Established street grades and proposed finish grades.
                    3. Architectural plans and specifications to include:
                      1. Description of uses and the proposed occupancy group(s) for all portions of the building. The design approach for mixed-uses (as applicable).
                      2. Proposed type of construction of the building.
                      3. Fully dimensioned drawings to determine building areas and height.
                      4. Adequate details and dimensions to evaluate means of egress, including occupant loads for each floor, exit arrangement and sizes, corridors, doors, stairs, etc.
                      5. Exit signs/means of egress lighting, including power supply.
                      6. Accessibility scoping provisions.
                      7. Description and details of proposed special occupancies such as a covered mall, high-rise, mezzanine, atrium, public garage, etc.
                      8. Adequate details to evaluate fire restrictive construction requirements, including data substantiating required ratings.
                      9. Details of plastic, insulation, and safety glazing installation.
                      10. Details of required fire protection systems.
                    4. Structural plans, specifications, and engineering details to include:
                      1. Soils report indicating the soil type and recommended allowable bearing pressure and foundation type.
                      2. Signed and sealed structural design calculations which support the member sizes on the drawings.
                      3. Local design load criteria, including: frost depth; live loads; snow loads; wind loads; earthquake design data; other special loads.
                      4. Details of foundations and superstructure.
                      5. Provisions for required special inspections.
                      6. Applicable construction standards and material specifications (i.e., masonry, concrete, wood, steel, etc.).
                    5. Traffic Study must be submitted if the proposed build fronts or backs a major thoroughfare (i.e. Loop 1604, IH 35 and State Hwy 218).

                    Accessibility Plan Review Requirements

                    Accessibility Plan Reviews are based on the specified edition of the ICC/ANSI A117.1 standard as referenced by the 2018 International Building Code® (IBC®) unless otherwise directed. In order to perform a thorough Accessibility Plan Review, the following specifications, drawings and details should be submitted:

                    1. Complete signed and sealed (as required by applicable laws) architectural plans and material specifications of all work. Details and plans drawn to scale with sufficient clarity, details and dimensions to show the nature and extent of the work proposed.
                    2. A site plan including the following information:
                      1. Size and location of all new construction and all existing structures on the site.
                      2. Location of any recreational facilities (i.e., pool, tennis courts, etc.)
                      3. Established street grades and proposed finished grade.
                      4. Accessible parking, other locations of public access to the facility, accessible exterior routes and locations of accessible entrances.
                    3. Architectural plans and specifications to include:
                      1. Description of uses and the proposed occupancy group(s) for all portions of the building. The design approach for mixed-uses (as applicable).
                      2. Fully dimensioned drawings to determine areas and building height.
                      3. Adequate details and dimensions to evaluate accessible means of egress, including occupant loads for each floor, exit arrangement and sizes, corridors, doors, stairs, ramps, handrails, areas of refuge, etc.
                      4. Adequate details and dimensions to evaluate the accessible route to areas required to be accessible, including corridors, doors, protruding objects, maneuvering clearances, clear floor space at fixtures and controls, etc.
                      5. Accessibility provisions including but not limited to access to services, seating, dining, listening systems, accessible fixtures, elevators, work surfaces, etc.
                      6. Accessible plumbing facilities and details.
                      7. Visual and tactile signage provided.
                      8. Details of required fire protection systems and user controls.

                    Note: The ICC Accessibility Review will cover the scoping requirements in Chapter 11 of the IBC and other accessibility related requirements mainstreamed throughout the applicable building code. Technical requirements covered will be based on the applicable edition of ICC/ANSI A117.1, Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities. Any local, state or federal provisions, laws or regulations are beyond the scope of the review.

                    Energy Plan Review Requirements

                    Residential Energy Plan Reviews are based on The 2018 ICC International Energy Conservation Code (IECC®). Commercial Energy Plan Reviews are based on Chapter 5 of the IECC or the referenced edition of ASHRAE 90.1 unless otherwise directed. In order to perform a thorough Energy Plan Review, the following specifications, drawings and details should be submitted:

                    1. Complete signed and sealed (as required by applicable laws) plans and specifications as indicated below.
                    2. Envelope––Architectural plans and specifications to include:
                      1. Description of uses and the proposed occupancy group(s) for all portions of the building.
                      2. Thermal performance of envelope components.
                      3. Fenestration performance details (U-factor, SC, SHGC, VLT, air leakage rates, etc.).
                      4. Fully dimensioned drawings to determine gross and net areas of all envelope components.
                      5. Details of vapor barrier and insulation installation, and air sealing methods.
                      6. “REScheck”, “COMcheck”, or “ENVSTD” output (where applicable).
                      7. Design conditions (interior and exterior) consistent with local climate.
                    3. Electrical––Complete plans and specifications of all electrical power and lighting work including:
                      1. Riser diagram(s) of the distribution system indicating:
                        1. Check metering provisions for individual dwelling units.
                        2. Subdivision of feeders by end use: 1) Lighting, 2) HVAC, 3) SWH and systems over 20 kW.
                      2. Lighting fixture schedule(s) depicting location, fixture lamps, ballasts, ballast specifications, fixture input watts, fixture wiring methods, power factor, etc.
                      3. Lighting plan(s) for building exteriors including total exterior Connected Lighting Power (CLP).
                      4. Lighting and power floor plans for building interiors including total interior CLP.
                      5. “REScheck”, “COMcheck”, or “LTGSTD” output (where applicable).
                      6. Interior and exterior means of lighting control.
                      7. Electric motor schedule including type, HP and efficiencies.
                    4. Mechanical––Complete plans and specifications of all mechanical work including:
                      1. Equipment type, capacity (Btuh) and efficiency (peak and part-load).
                      2. System design air flow rates (cfm).
                      3. Details of equipment/system sizing.
                      4. System and/or zone control capabilities including terminal device schedule.
                      5. Provisions for automatic setback/shutdown.
                      6. Indicate intentions or plans for systems commissioning.
                      7. Energy consumed by fans and pumps.
                      8. Economizers (air or water) including provisions for integrated control.
                      9. Duct construction and system static pressure(s), including provisions for sealing.
                      10. Duct and/or hydronic-piping lining and insulation materials.
                      11. Provisions for air and/or hydronic system balancing.
                      12. Boiler and water heater equipment and piping details, safety controls and distribution piping layout.
                    5. Service water heating (SWH)––Complete SWH specifications including:
                      1. SWH equipment data including type, capacity and efficiency.
                      2. SWH pipe insulation, thickness, conductivity and vapor retarder (where appropriate).
                      3. Water conservation requirements.
                      4. Energy conservation measures for swimming pools (where applicable).

                    Plumbing Plan Review Requirements

                    Plumbing Plan Reviews are based on the 2018 International Plumbing Code unless otherwise directed. In order to perform a thorough Plumbing Plan Review, the following specifications, drawings and details should be submitted:

                    1. Complete signed and sealed (as required by applicable laws) plans and specifications of all plumbing work.
                    2. Plumbing fixture specifications including identification of the applicable referenced material standards and the maximum flow rates for the plumbing fixtures.
                    3. The basis for the number of plumbing fixtures provided including the occupant load used, the applicable occupancy group(s) and fixture rate(s).
                    4. Dimensions for bathrooms and plumbing fixture locations along with the wall and floor surface materials to be installed.
                    5. Site plan which indicates the routing of the sanitary, storm and water service with the burial depths for all sewers and water service.
                    6. Water distribution system sizing criteria and calculations.
                    7. Water supply and distribution piping plan showing the incoming water supply, distribution piping, pipe size, the location of water hammer arrestors and the location of all valves.
                    8. The location of all backflow preventers, the type of backflow preventers provided for each piece of equipment or outlet and the specified material standardsreferenced in the code.
                    9. Drainage system piping plan showing the layout of all piping, of plumbing fixtures and the location of cleanouts.
                    10. Riser diagram(s) of the drain, waste and vent piping including the building drain, all horizontal branches and the connections and layout of all fixtures. Pipe sizes, direction of flow, grade of horizontal piping, drainage fixture loads and the method of venting all plumbing fixtures.
                    11. The location of all indirect waste connections, standpipes, grease traps and separators.
                    12. Complete water heater details, temperature and pressure relief valve discharge, discharge piping and pan details along with the method of supplying tempered water to required fixtures.
                    13. Complete details of the method of draining storm water from the roof including calculations to verify pipe and/or gutter sizes, the location of all roof drains and the roof area that each group of roof drains is intended to serve and an independent secondary roof drainage system.
                    14. Piping material specifications to verify compliance with the referenced material standards for all sanitary, storm and potable water piping (e.g., ASTM B88 for copper pipe), the type of joints and connections for all piping, the pipe hanger support spacing and details of anchorage and bracing.

                    Sprinkler Plan Review Requirements

                    Sprinkler Plan Reviews are based on the specified edition of the applicable NFPA 13, 13D or 13R standard as referenced by the International Building Code® (IBC®) unless otherwise directed. In order to perform a thorough Sprinkler Plan Review, the following items should be submitted:

                    1. Complete signed and sealed (as required by applicable laws) plans and specifications for the sprinkler system and related equipment.
                    2. Description and locations of uses within the building and corresponding occupancy class for each room or area. Location and size of all concealed spaces, closets, attics and bathrooms. Details of occupancies utilized for high-piled storage including commodity types and storage arrangement.
                    3. Design details in accordance with the appropriate sprinkler system standard (i.e., NFPA 13, 13D, 13R) as referenced by the IBC and all other applicable design standards (NFPA 14, NFPA 20, NFPA 24, etc.).
                    4. Design calculations indicating the discharge requirements of the sprinkler system including the design density, area of application, and inside/outside hose stream demand for each occupancy.
                    5. Results of a current flow test indicating the location, date and witness of the test. Site plan indicating the overall water supply source and arrangement.
                    6. Working drawings indicating all pipe sizes and the spacing between branch lines and sprinklers on the branch line. Hydraulic reference points on the drawings correlated with the hydraulic calculations.
                    7. Make, model, type, temperature rating and k-factor for all sprinklers. Total number ofsprinklers on each floor and for each system.
                    8. Full height section views and location of all interior partitions, fire barriers, fire partitions, fire walls and horizontal assemblies.
                    9. Material specifications and equipment specifications for all sprinkler system components including type of sprinkler pipe(s), pipe fittings, control valves, check valves, dry pipe valves, test connections, pipe hangers, backflow preventers, fire department connections, and alarm bells. All materials used should be verified that they are installed in accordance with their listing.
                    10. A site plan showing the Fire Department connection for the sprinkler system is within 100 ft. of a fire hydrant.

                    Mechanical Plan Review Requirements

                    Mechanical Plan Reviews are based on the 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC®) and 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) unless otherwise directed. In order to perform a thorough Mechanical Plan Review, the following specifications, drawings and details should be submitted:

                    1. Complete signed and sealed (as required by applicable laws) plans and specifications of all heating, ventilating and air conditioning work.
                    2. Complete information on all the mechanical equipment and materials including listing, labeling, installation and compliance with referenced material standards.
                    3. Details on the HVAC equipment including the equipment capacity (Btu/h input), controls, equipment location, access and clearances.
                    4. A ventilation schedule indicating the outdoor air rates, the estimated occupant load/1,000 ft2, the floor area of the space and the amount of outdoor air supplied to each space.
                    5. The location of all outdoor air intakes with respect to sources of contaminants.
                    6. Duct construction and installation methods, flame spread/smoke development ratings of materials, flexible air duct and connector listing, sealing of duct joints, seams and connections and duct support spacing.
                    7. Condensate disposal, routing of piping and auxiliary and secondary drainage systems.
                    8. Required exhaust systems, routing of ducts and termination to the exterior.
                    9. Complete details of all Type I and II kitchen hoods, grease duct construction and velocity, clearance to combustibles and fire suppression system.
                    10. Details of all duct penetrations through fire-resistance rated assemblies including locations for all fire dampers, smoke dampers and ceiling radiation dampers along with applicable fire protection ratings and labeling requirements.
                    11. Method of supplying combustion air to all fuel fired appliances, the location and size of openings and criteria used to size the openings.
                    12. Details on the vents used to vent the products of combustion from all fuel burning appliances including the type of venting system, the sizing criteria required for the type of vent and the routing of the vent.
                    13. Boiler and water heater equipment and piping details including safety controls, gauges, valves and distribution piping layout.
                    14. Details on the type and quantity of refrigerant, calculations indicating the quantity of refrigerant and refrigerant piping material and the type of connections.
                    15. Complete details on the gas piping system including materials, installation, valve locations, sizing criteria and calculations (i.e., the longest run of piping, the pressure, the pressure drop and applicable gas pipe sizing Table(s) in the IFGC.)

                      Violation Report Forms

                      Code Compliance Violation Report Form

                      Download PDF

                      Health Complaint Report Form

                      Download PDF

                      Development Services Contact:

                      Located in the Fire Department Building
                      8001 Shin Oak Drive
                      Live Oak, Texas 78233
                      210-653-9140 Extension 2244

                      Inspections & Code Division

                      Office closed for lunch between the hours of 12:00 – 1:00pm