At this location stood the original houses of Live Oak. In the late 1950’s several German families lived in this area and, fearing San Antonio’s encroachment, chose to incorporate their own city. Initially joining the city of Selma in incorporation, Live Oak residents at the time split from them and chose to incorporate their own city.
Initially joining the city of Selma in incorporation, Live Oak residents at the time split from them and chose to incorporate their own city. Live Oak was incorporated as a city in 1960. Many of the original settlers to the area had names of Engleman, Riedel, Fey, Albrecht, Schumann and Friesenhahn. It incorporated with a population of 316 inhabitants and established their name as “Live Oak.” The original portion of Live Oak also included the area where Living Way Church is on the access road of IH 35 southbound.
Live Oak started expanding its boundaries in 1968 with the annexation of property to the west of IH 35, and again in 1970 with additional annexations around Loop 1604.
These houses were removed or destroyed to make way for the Heritage Apartment complex. Some of the palm trees in the complex were original trees of the houses.
September (no day), 1959
Donations of $10 collected for fees and Wilbur Friesenhahn consults the Texas Almanac and makes the motion to name us Live Oak.
Donations for New Proposed Corporation in this area Toepperwein Road to End of Martin Friesenhahn’s Property North on U.S. 81
|Murray A. Winn||Aerial|
|Claude N. Ferrell||$10|
|Milton H Albrecht||$10|
|Richard O. Schultz||$10|
|A. L. Copeland||$10|
|Matthew E. Friesenhahn||$10|
|Elton O. Friesenhahn||$10|
(Marian Elbel was our original city secretary and worked for the city for over 20 years. She was hired in 1970.)
(Elton served as our second Mayor)
(Served as first city hall, all records were kept and all council meetings were held there)